Talk about a cocktail that’s a meal in itself. This spicy little number is specially popular during The Ravenous Pig’s Saturday lunches and seasonal roasts. What sets it apart is the harissa, a hot chili paste that originated in Tunisia. It can be found at most specialty grocery store.
Ingredients for Gazpacho Bloody Mary Mix:
Makes about 5 cups
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/4 cup roasted tomatoes (Divina brand, or home-roasted)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 sweet red pepper, chopped coarsely
1 shallot, halved
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons harissa paste
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons fresh horseradish, Microplaned (can substitute prepared horseradish)
1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, to taste
6 fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoons celery seed
Ingredients for Assembly:
2 ounce 360 vodka
Pickled vegetables for garnish
Make Bloody Mary Mix:
- Mix together all ingredients in a sealed container and let sit overnight in refrigerator.
- Blend in a food processor until smooth, adjusting seasonings to taste.
- Can keep in refrigerator for up to 48 hours, blending as needed if mixture separates.
- Pour vodka into a tall glass.
- Add 6 ounces Bloody Mary Mix.
- Fill with ice, stir vigorously, and garnish with picked vegetables of your choice.
This recipe is featured in The Ravenous Pig: Seasons of Florida, a book by James and Julie Petrakis and a Story Farm project.